Watch our ‘without limits’ video here…
It’s not all hard hats and high vis jackets…
…Although that’s an important part of our sector, there’s a massive range of other exciting and rewarding construction jobs waiting for you.
That’s why we’re aiming to recruit 1 million young people into all areas of this fast-growing sector, from yard work to sales and from marketing to manufacturing.
Whether you’re keen to jump straight in or earn while you learn through an apprenticeship, the options are limitless. You could even work your way up the ladder to run one of Britain’s largest companies.
Construction, especially the builders’ merchants sector, is well paid and the skills you’ll pick up along the way will be great for your career progression and CV!
If you’re excited by the huge choice of career options available to you in the construction sector, take a closer look at the range of exciting apprenticeship programmes, dedicated qualifications and training.
Did you know?
- There are 23,000 companies in the construction products manufacturing sector with an annual turnover of £56 billion.
- The construction sector contributes 7% of the UK economic activity.
- 2.9 million people work in construction – that’s nearly 1 in 10 of all jobs.
- 1 in 4 construction jobs will be filled by women in 2020.
Bursaries for training, education & apprenticeships
We are supporting training, education and career development for young people in the industry with a bursary of up to £2,000 per person. Working in partnership with The Rainy Day Trust, the bursary can be used towards any course that is directly related to work carried out at a Builders’ Merchant or with a supplier to Builders’ Merchants.
We are looking for…
- Younger people in full-time education who wish to enter the builders’ merchant or suppliers to the builders’ merchant trade in any role.
- Current apprentices in our Industry.
- Full or part-time employees at a builders’ merchant or suppliers to the builders’ merchant trade, who wish to improve their career prospects within the industry.
- The applicant must not be in receipt of substantial income from their parents.
- The apprentice must have at least 75% of their training still to be completed at the time of first application.
- A statement supporting the application must be received from the trainer/mentor or employer stating that the apprentice is progressing well and likely to complete the course in full.
Employees of Builders’ Merchant or a supplier to the Builders’ Merchant trade
- Applicants must have worked in the industry for at least 12 months.
- There must be a demonstrable financial need indicating that the applicant cannot fund the course themselves.
- The course or training that the applicant is seeking support for must not be available from the employer.
- Successful applicants must be prepared to sign a statement that they plan to remain within the industry for at least 2 years following completion of the course; otherwise they agree to refund the cost of the bursary.
To apply visit www.rainydaytrust.org.uk or call 0203 192 0486.
Want to know more?
Watch our videos here: http://www.wcobm.co.uk/videos
Download a pdf of our #BuildACareerWithoutLimits leaflet
Also visit www.buildingmaterialscareers.com for information on apprenticeship programmes, dedicated qualifications and training.